If you are interested, I wrote about the event which led up to all of this in My Prologue. Please check it out.
My path into the world of spiritual development began back in 2004. I broke up with a woman over religious differences, and it made me question whether my chosen path (Agnostic) was just the easy way out for me. I began exploring other religions and spiritual paths.
I was introduced to the idea of Reiki by a co-worker, but he was very secretive about what he learned. Feeling it was something I wanted to learn more about, I began searching online. I found many resources, but the one I connected with was Spirit Reiki by Linda Horton. What interested me most was the system of Elemental Reiki. I took Linda’s Usui Master training, since it was a requirement for the Elemental Reiki. Later on, I would get the opportunity to study Elemental Reiki with the founder, Rebecca Doolin.
Around the same time, I had been reading the Wiccan Warrior by Kerr Cuhulain. The police officer and martial artist talking about Wicca and the Goddess really connected with me. My cousin had come out of the broom closet recently, and I was really wanting to learn more about Wicca. I had studied martial arts for much of my life, so this book was a good bridge for me. My relationship with God until that time had been cold, sterile, and very impersonal. The way Kerr described the Goddess as being in all things, including us, felt right – not just right but absolutely perfect.
I was guided to take yoga classes from Flora at the local new age bookstore – even though I really wanted to take the Qigong classes they would be offering in a few months. When Flora offered a Beginners Wiccan Course, I was excited. Something about Flora really connected with me, so when I had to choose between her Wiccan classes and the previously mentioned Qigong class, it really was no contest. (Qigong classes were cancelled after a month anyway, so I knew very quickly that I made the right choice).
Flora offered the students in her class free Reiki training, and that December I received Reiki Master from Flora in a live class. But as a true sign of how our relationship was going to develop over the years, she (and a few others) received their Elemental Reiki attunement from me at the end of the 2 day workshop.
For the next year, I studied with Flora, and her Beginners Wiccan course turned into a very amazing overall course in multiple systems as well as general spiritual and energy work. I discovered Reiki on eBay and began looking at various other attunements, since I still wasn’t connecting with Usui’s system or the symbols.
In 2006, two things happened. One, I was exposed to and took Usui Teate from Don Carter. Usui Teate was the system as Chris March taught it based on what he learned from a Buddhist nun who was one of Usui’s original students. Shortly after that, I found a teacher who taught me Gendai Ki Reiki, a distance version of Hiroshi Doi’s system of Reiki. Both of these systems presented Reiki in a different way – not some lost healing art (which never made sense since energy healing had been around for thousands of years) but a system of spiritual development that happened to include energetic healing.
The second thing was that Flora recommended I take over the Reiki classes at the new age bookstore where she taught and gave readings. The current Reiki teacher was leaving and the owner asked her to take over. Getting that recommendation from Flora was just truly amazing. And even though the store did not stay open for very long afterwards, it did focus me on Usui’s Reiki through both Usui Teate and Gendai Reiki. I few years later, I would meet Shawn Erwin, a Gendai Reiki Master, who accepted my distance training and eventually elevated me to the rank of Shihan.
All the time, I was still learning about energy healing from other systems. I took several classes in Qigong from Jampa Stewart plus an online Diploma course, and Pranic Healing from Stephen Co. To round things out, I became a Certified Hypnotist through HMI and have been tutoring myself in EFT since I first learned about it through a free talk at a new age fair.
My studies in spirituality and energy work have been varied and include information from so many systems, it might seem impossible to incorporate it all. And on the surface, it is. But when you look underneath the surface, you see they are all fundamentally the same. Just like we all are.
Usui Reiki Training
- 2004 – Usui Shiki Ryoho – Master – Linda Horton
- 2004 – Usui Reiki Ryoho – Master – Flora Elmore
- 2006 – Usui Teate Reiki – Shinpiden – Don Carter
- 2006 – Gendai Ki Reiki – Shinpiden – Kristen Dietz
- 2009 – Gendai Reiki – Gokui Kaiden – Shawn Erwin
- 2010 – Gendai Reiki – Shihan – Shawn Erwin
- 2013 – Komyo Reiki Kai – Okuden – Hyakuten Inamoto
- 2017 – Usui Reiki Ryoho – Shinpiden – Lisa Powers
Other Reiki Training
- 2004 – Elemental Reiki – Linda Horton/Rebecca Doolin
- 2005 – Green Tara Seichim – Stephen Lovering
- 2006 – Dragon Reiki 1 & 2 – Kristen Dietz
- 2006 – Dragon Ki Reiki – Kristen Dietz
- 2006 – Medicine Buddha Reiki – Kristen Dietz
- 2010 – Karuna Ki Reiki – Kristen Dietz
- 2016 – Animal Reiki – Lisa Powers
- 2007 – Certified Hypnotist – Hypnosis Motivation Institute
- 2007 – Diploma in Chi Kung – CanAm College
- 2008 – Microcosmic Orbit – Jampa Stewart
- 2009 – Inner Structure of Tai Chi – Jampa Stewart
- 2009 – Basic Pranic Healing® – Master Stephen Co
- 2010 – Advanced Pranic Healing® – Greg Toews
- 2010 – Taoist Cosmic Healing – Jampa Stewart
- 2010 – External Qi Healing – Jampa Stewart
- 2014 – Curanderismo: Traditional Medicine – University New Mexico
- 2014 – Nutrition, Health, and Lifestyle: Issues and Insights – Vanderbuilt University
- 2015 – Animal Care – Holly and Hugo
- 2017 – EFT Mastery: Be Your Own Trauma Therapist – Mark Johnson
- 2017 – EFT Mastery: Relational Tapping – Mark Johnson
- 2017 – EFT Mastery: Why and How EFT Works – Mark Johnson